Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Jury trial. What's that?

December 22, 2009

Panel 1:Mark seems uncertain as to the scope of his constitutional rights (state and/or federal).

Panel 2:So does Sheriff Pepper. Yet, surprisingly enough, he decides to err on the side of an expansive reading of the 6th Amendment's right to "Assistance of Counsel."

Panel 3:I take it that the Sheriff is unfamiliar with the Right Fist o' Justice.

December 21, 2009

Panel 1:Now this is some serious frontier justice. The judge doesn't just decide whether Mark should be offered bail pending a jury trial for felony burglary, he actually decides the entire case. I wonder what his name is? Roy Bean?

Panel 2:The tide remains active.

Panel 3:"Usually it's just one of my many cousins looking for ephedrine."

December 19, 2009

Panel 1:Please note that Rusty is not "my son" to Mark, but instead "a boy." This might explain a lot. It also probably explains why Mark's panicked pleading does nothing to thaw the congealed bacon fat that constitutes Sheriff Pepper's cold, cold heart.

Panel 2:Interestingly (to me), Mark is affected by the essentially agent-less passive voice, while Rusty is affected by the active voice of Nature. I wonder why.

December 18, 2009

Panel 1:Ahhhhh, Mark gets a little taste of the moral certitude he's usually so quick to dispense.

Panel 2:And, apparently, it doesn't taste good.

Panel 3:Unless your name is Sheriff J.W. Pepper!

December 17, 2009

Panel 1:Ooh, inbred AND venal. This, my friends, is my kind of Mark Trail villain.

Panel 2:Is it me, or does it look like Mark's hand is creeping across the floor (a la the Evil Dead) and preparing to throttle him?

Panel 3:I do so enjoy Sheriff Pepper's condescending use of the word "boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment